Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Latest Addiction


You are My Destiny.

A thirty-minute Korean drama that revolutionizes my typical evening habit. Currently, nighttime for me means having supper and watching Family Feud, 24 Oras (Yes, I am a Kapuso) and at 7:30 pm all attention to my latest obsession. At first, it was only I, now it’s WE. My parents are now fanatics too. Whewww!

The miniseries is airing in Korean language. For this reason, English subtitle is featured below the tv screen. Originally, I was just interested in refining my English writing proficiency. I thought I could use it as a tool in developing a skill. But later on, I became an avid viewer. A fan. An addict.

The story revolves around Jang Sae Byuk, an orphan lady who tries to find a new meaning in life after she receives an eye cornea transplant from the doctor that took care of her after an accident. Unfortunately the doctor, Kim Na Young, died in a car accident on her way back from Africa. Sae Byuk becomes close to Na Young’s family and slowly accepts her as part of the family. Sae Byuk meets Ho Sae, son of a rich family where Sae Byuk foster parents work for. The two have the chance to work together professionally and a romantic relationship flourishes along the way… (Source: koreandrama.org. Edited).

The soap showcases various scenarios common in any family. It features minor disagreement among siblings, lovers quarrel, financial difficulties, confrontation of in-laws etc. The story, though it tackles a lot of serious matters, is not too complicated. Comedy also constitutes to the effectiveness of the entire production. The show has an element to connect with the viewers without using long and dramatic lines or over blown emotions. Even though I could not understand a thing, I am convinced that the intensity of some heavy scenes is analogous to real life situations. On top of this, we can learn good values: humility, empathy, solidarity, patience and simplicity to name a few.

In addition, the show also exhibits their customs and traditions. Although everyone could relate to the story, it is very obvious that the show has an ingredient that is distinctively Korean. That is why I find it more interesting to watch. Slowly, I am also getting familiar to some Korean words such as ”Appa (father),” “Omma (mother),” and“Annyong haseyo (Hello).” Oh yes, I'm learning too! Hehe!

Love it!!!

P.S. To Sky Cable subscriber "You are My Destiny" is on KBS World (Channel 75), 7:15 or 7:30 p.m.

0 Speak:

Popular Posts

Archive